Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recent graduate and unemployed

Status
Not open for further replies.

isnata

Electrical
Jun 3, 2013
CA
Hello everyone,

I am a recent electrical engineering graduate with three co-op work terms. I have a decent mark and good employer appraisals. I am both a theoretical and technical kind of person. I am a hard worker and have a strong drive to be successful. I have been applying for five months now, to many positions both online and in-person. So far, I have got a couple of interviews but non of them seems to work out. I do practice for interviews and research about the companies and their competitors, before going for interview. I have tried contacting the recruiters or senior engineers to get their feedbacks but non have got back to me. I spend a great part on my day researching companies and, writing cover letters/resumes. Additionally, I am an international student, on a student visa. During my undergrad, I learned from first hand, what it takes to land a co-op position. You basically need to hustle and put in strong efforts till the closing date.

Here is my question:
Most of you guys here are experienced engineers and some of you might have gone through a period or situation like this at some point in your career. What advice can you give to a person in this situation? Should I take a break to change mindset about the whole career thing? I would love to go back to my former employers but most of them are downsizing their operations and in need of more experienced engineers. I have been advised by close friends to relocate to other locations with more engineering firms. Will relocating make a difference since all applications are done online? I am also worried about the risk of relocating and getting disappointed at the end of the day. Any advice on this? I have been considering to take on a sale position while relocating to this region, to help support myself while living in this new location. Please can anyone suggest any alternative to this? Has anyone done this before? Thank you in advance for your time and attention.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The fact that you have got interviews means that they like your resume. I suggest you try and make yourself desirable to employers during the interview. Try and differentiate yourself from other candidates, make yourself unique and ask good questions that show knowledge and interest.

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." L. da Vinci
- Gian

When it comes to that first few jobs, being willing to relocate is a huge advantage. Trying to stay in one area limits your selection. Depending upon the company, relocation expenses are often paid for, even for new grads, if you're in demand.

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

"getting disappointed at the end of the day"

And not being employed at all is not a disappointment? There's ALWAYS some risk of a job not being what you thought it was supposed to be. Sometimes, that turns out to be a good thing.

The overall job market is still pretty squishy, and it's pockets of high activity that makes things look tolerable overall. Clearly, your area is either really slow, or there are issues with your resume; the flexibility to relocate would certainly widen your job hunt prospects.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

First of all don't get discouraged since you haven't been offered a job yet. There are many things going on behind the scenes at the companies that you can't see. For example, I've talked to one HR person who told me his company had a policy requiring him to post a public job listing even if the hiring manager had already decided to promote someone from within the company.

Job hunting takes time. Someone told me once to expect to spend an average of 1 month job hunting for every 10k you expect to earn in salary. Obviously, that's a rough guideline, but the point is don't expect to find something immediately and don't get discouraged if it takes longer than you think it should.

Online applications are a dead end in my opinion. I'm not saying don't bother with them, but you'll have much better luck if you can meet someone from the company face to face, shake hands and get a buisness card. Go to job fairs, catch up with old classmates, utilize any resources your university career center has. Make yourself more than just a resume and cover letter to the companies.

And most importantly, when talking to a company, do not this job would be good for you, tell them how your skill set can improve their company.

Thanks to everyone for your advices. Fex32, I can resonate with your advice. During my past interviews, I have always thought I needed to learn something different (different from my resume) in order to participate in the interviews. Reading your comment gave me the feeling that I actually do have something to offer. I will prepare more harder in future for interviews, when I get one. To MacGyverS2000 and IRStuff, I have been considering to relocate but was wondering if that would make a difference since most jobs are posted online and applications are also sent online.

Thank you remqnf, I also think networking in person is a great way of letting the company get to know you. I have had the opportunity to attend one job fair, and though it didn't yield nothing, it was interesting to actually hear what recruiters are searching for in a New Grad. About companies reposting jobs when the positions are already filled, I think I have ran into a couple of them. Do you know why they do that? Is it advisable to focus more on smaller companies than the bigger ones? During my co-ops, I learned a lot and played more crucial roles while working for bigger companies.

Depending on what you want in the future, a small company may have a lot of learning potential. I was the only EE in the company for 10+ years... Did everything at one point ... building panels, wiring, design, programming, project management, feild commissioning, sales presentation, writing manuals, UL documentation. As a bonus, I also got into roped into some IT stuff. Never knew exactly what to expect each day, but it was fun.

Did your co-op position not "excite" you, or were there other factors that prevented you from being employed there after graduation? I ask because most of the guys I know who did co-ops turned around and had full-time positions with those companies months ahead of graduation.

University career resources are invaluable, especially if there is an alumni mentoring/networking program for you to get into. School connections (friends, professors, and alumni) can prove to be invaluable resources right out of the gate. They may be able to put you in touch with somebody, even if that somebody is on the other side of the country (or world). I don't think I, personally, would relocate for a job just to be in a higher volume market. Instead, I would stay where I was (assuming your living situation is sustainable for the near future) and just broaded my search pool. Narrow down by region(s) or state(s) you'd like to work/live in. Going back to the alumni resource, you can probably find engineering alumni in or near the areas you're considering and ask them where the most jobs are located- for example, really focus on the north side of Atlanta, GA, such as the cities of Alpharetta, Norcross, Lawrenceville, etc. That can help you "zoom in" to an area to start weeding through the options available and find something that both fits you and is, most importantly, ready to hire you!

Best of luck in the search. I graduated with my BSME in 2012 and it took me half of that last semester plus 3.5 months before I landed something. I know guys who had a longer wait (6+ months), so hang in there.

You mentioned that you are an international student on a student visa. Could companies be concerned about your ability to obtain a work visa?

Have you received any input from the companies that didn't offer you a position?

remqnf said:
Someone told me once to expect to spend an average of 1 month job hunting for every 10k you expect to earn in salary.
That might fit a specific industry, but certainly nowhere near any of the ones I follow. Something closer to a week/$10k might be a better fit in many areas.

Though if one considers how many people used up their 99 weeks of unemployment and still haven't found a job, well... they obviously hope to make way more than I ever could.

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

Don't forget that your resume and cover letter are MARKETING documents; they should make it clear what you bring to the table and how that might help your potential employer. Most importantly, does it answer, "Why should you pick me?"

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

That last post by IRstuff is right on the money. Then during the interview, elaborate on all those reasons "why should we pick you?".
If they like the way you present yourself, you'll get an offer for sure.

Good luck, (to all of us, as we all have, will, and will have to always do this haha :))

[cheers]

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." L. da Vinci
- Gian

OP indicates 'I am an international student, on a student visa'.
You will only realize afterward that the interviews you have attended were 'for curiosity only' especially if you proposed a good resume!
So if you are on student visa don't waste your time further and apply where you are eligible to work.

Agree with rotaryw: there's a plentiful supply of keen fresh grads for employers to choose from, who are already legally permitted to work, starting tomorrow, with zero effort or risk on the employer's part. Why on earth should they pick you? Your former co-op employers, who know you already and might realize how special you are, were pretty much your one shot in my opinion. You've got to think carefully about why you chose to study where you did. If it was as a means to shortcut the immigration process, you may just have to lick your wounds and make another plan.

Are you applying for entry level positions? Perhaps it is not an easy time to find one of those since most students graduate in the spring?

Your work status requires an employer to sponsor you for an H1b visa, which are in high demand, and generally reserved for existing employees. At a former employer, certain job postings were constructed so that no one could meet the requirements, except for the guy for which the visa was reserved.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Sorry, didn't read all replies.

When looking for a new applicant, them already being in the area is generally beneficial.

However, it's not usually make or break and making it clear you are willing to relocate may be enough.

If you require sponsorship for a visa that will put a lot of companies off, but isn't insurmountable. We hired several guys in that boat about 18 months ago though I think they were all Phd. That said we're in a fairly specialized field and they had studied in depth at somewhat applicable programs.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Don't forget to list some things you like to do on your resume and somehow bring them up in the conversation. Every interview I have been on it was either the owner or who I would be working directly under doing the questioning. I am a huge car guy, so that always gets brought up, and we can talk about that for a bit. It at least gives you something more to talk about so they can get a feel for you. I would also briefly glance over what a company does so I have plenty of questions as the conversation flows. Also bring in some past work to talk about. I would bring a couple of 8 1/1 x 11 print outs.

Remember everyone is the hardest worker and wants to be successful and rich. Make sure you can back that up with something.

B+W Engineering and Design
Los Angeles Civil Engineer and Structural Engineer

KENAT,
quoted
"If you require sponsorship for a visa that will put a lot of companies off, but isn't insurmountable."
unquoted

Of course nothing is impossible but the guy must then show some very exceptional skills to get work visa sponsorship ; since this is US (at least I assume...) my question is how the guy will differentiate from the other locals who are the most talented people all over the world, really.

If the guy is a candidate for an H1b visa, he has one advantage, he is here now and can interview face to face with a potential employer instead of dealing with an agency. The major trick now is landing a job, and securing the Visa before his student Visa runs out.
This all comes down to salesmanship, and being willing to re-locate to where the jobs are in this country. Like north or south Dakota for example.
B.E.

You are judged not by what you know, but by what you can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back