Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Recip. Comp. Pulsation Dampeners - Expanded Pipe Vs. Pressure Vessel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pulsater555

Petroleum
Sep 30, 2019
CA
I am trying to determine if I can use a expanded pipe compared to having to use a pressure vessel.

I am having difficulties finding any exemptions in ASME SecVIII Div.1 and in my jurisdictional governing bodies requirements.

What is the determining factor requiring the registration of a pressure vessel compared to using expanded pipe?

Pulsation dampeners being used do not have internals and have less volume than 20 liters. Only B31.3 and B16.5 componets will be used.

-Pulsater555

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Is your jurisdiction Alberta?

If so, Section 2(2)j of the Pressure Equipment Exemption Order might apply to you.

Pressure Equipment Exemption Order said:
(2) The Pressure Equipment Safety Regulation, the Pressure Welders Regulation and the Power Engineers Regulation do not apply to the following:
(j) a pressure container that is an integral part of a rotating or reciprocating mechanical device, such as a pump, compressor, turbine, generator, engine or hydraulic or pneumatic actuating cylinder, where the primary design considerations or stresses of the device are derived from the functional requirements of the device;

Hello jmec87,

Yes sir, the jurisdiction is Alberta. Section 2(2)J details though that the exemption does not apply to pressure piping or pulsation bottles.

This exemption does not apply to items such as pulsation bottles, separators, intercoolers, aftercoolers or pressure piping (vent, drain and process piping) that are attached to these rotating or reciprocating mechanical devices.

I am still hunting around trying to figure this out. I have seen many packages with pipe pulsation dampeners that have not required vessel registration.

-Pulsater555

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back