Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recip fogging oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.

enginesrus

Mechanical
Aug 30, 2003
US
Looking for a cylinder fogging oil for recip aircraft engine. It can not be started, and should be a thin oil to atomize enough.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I tend to over-think questions like this...

Your/this issue/reason/context is very unclear and non-specific.

What type of recip-engine?

single/dual0cylinder [conversion]?
Opposed 2-4-6-8 cylinder aircraft?
Inline-cylinder aircraft
inline or V-auto engine [conversion]
Radial [small, large]
Carbureted, injected, 'super-charged-air'

Storing the engine 'on-aircraft' or on a transportation cradle or in a sealed storage container?

ARE YOU looking for simple preservative [oil, compound, etc] for recip-engine cylinder protection for short-term or long-term or indefinite storage... thru a spark-plug hole?

ALSO...

What about the crankcase, valves, connecting-rods/pins, crank and cam shafts, carburetor-injectors-turbocharger-supercharger, gears, magnetos, etc, etc, 'below' the piston rings.... and the interface at the piston rings [your question?] and de-preservation... assuming I understand the elements of Your question...

Continental, Lycoming, P&W, etc have processes for engine preservation... which usually involves slowly rotating the engine with the starter, ignition off with a preservative... and special/important procedures for 'recommissioning' the engine after storage, as I recall.

The following book may also have valuable insight into this matter...
Sky Ranch Engine Manual: Operation, failure, repair, piston aircraft engines

I have a teaching scenario regarding corrosion preventative compounds [CPC], lubricating oils, lubricating greases and solid-film lubricants [and hydraulic oils and coolants, etc] for my young engineers, that encompasses the vast array of factors... including elements/limits of preservation... but is primarily oriented to MIL turbine aircraft.

Regards, Wil Taylor
o Trust - But Verify!
o We believe to be true what we prefer to be true. [Unknown]
o For those who believe, no proof is required; for those who cannot believe, no proof is possible. [variation,Stuart Chase]
o Unfortunately, in science what You 'believe' is irrelevant. ["Orion", Homebuiltairplanes.com forum]

Try:

for a whole kit, suitable for long term storage. All the components, and thorough instructions. Also some good rabbit tunnels to go down and get lost in (engine manufacturer service bulletins). Or try:

MIL-P-46002, Grade 1

for just the preservative oil

I use Sta-Bil Fogging Oil in my snow thrower (just about ready to put away) and lawn mower. Single cylinder, carbureted, magneto ignition. Suppose that's all of the above: horizontally AND vertically opposed (one hand clapping), inline, V-1, radial.

I need to find out if that Sta-Bil has any thing that is detrimental to silver bearings. I know FAA certification is costly so that would be why not many things are approved for aviation applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back