Reciprocating compressor - discharge line check valve

Status
Not open for further replies.

dinoo3

Petroleum
May 6, 2015
SK
Coleagues,

What is the best solution for check valve at reciprocating compressor discharge line? Now there is installed stopcheck valve 1500 lb, 6 inch, whith pressure seal. 20 MPa op.pressure, fluid is hydrogen, op. Temp is up to 80 celsius. What is the best check valve for this services? This valve has solid metal gasket as presdure seal, and is problematical due to leakages. Is better solution to use jacketed (graphite core is covered with ss thin plate) pressure seal?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Point #1, If you check the detailed mechanical drawings of your Reciprocating Compressor you will find that each Discharge Cylinder has a Leif & Spring back-flow preventer (i.e.: Check Valve)
Point #2, A Reciprocating Compressor is a piston oriented "positive displacement" (PD) vapor mover. A PD Pump normally does not need a Check Valve.

Here is another internal (Recip Comp) Check Valve.

ahUKEwiF4PHRqLXPAhVLJx4KHWgUBoYQsAQIHQ#tbm=isch&q=Images+of+Reciprocating+Compressor+Check+valves&imgrc=Fha8DjttiHgYDM%3A

Penpiper,
Interesting point, but I have never seen a reciprocating compressor (or a screw compressor, also PD, for that matter) installed in industrial service without a skid-level discharge check. Not one in thousands of compressor installations. They are so ubiquitous that I've never questioned why they are there. I'm going to have to think about this some more.

[bold]David Simpson, PE[/bold]
MuleShoe Engineering

In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual. Galileo Galilei, Italian Physicist

A check valve is often used with an unloader valve. The more pipe volume there is between the compressor and an external check valve, the more time the compressor has to get up to speed before building pressure. This only applies to some types of unloading schemes, not all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back