Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reciprocating Expander

Status
Not open for further replies.

LimaBerge

Electrical
Sep 24, 2007
US
I have a project where I wish to expand a refriderant vapor from 300 F and 300 psi to 200 psi and generate power from it. Should I be using a reciprocting expander to do this and where would I get one?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Turbo-machinery (turbo expander) are generally used for expansion processes for simplicity (smaller in size) and variation in process conditions.

Why do you consider a recip expander?

Good Luck!
-pmover

I would consider any expander type but am having difficulty finding a small one in the 50 kW to 100 kW range that will operate at 300 F and 350 psi. This is an organic rankine cycle we are making for extracting heat from large engine exhausts. Any ideas?

You might contact Howden Ltd in Glasgow, Scotland. They had done some work on using oil injected screws in expander service.

ken

Ken
KE5DFR

Does anyone know where I can get an expander that is in the under 500 kW range and low pressures and temps like 300 psi and 300 F?

Texas Turbine, GE Rotoflow, LA Turbines, and Mafi-Trench will all design you one. They are hot commodities so a 26 week turn around would not be unreasonable, 20 week if lucky.

I just remembered, where I worked in the 70's, the plant experimented with a off the shelf steam turbine running on gas. It was only 30% efficient versus a gas built one that was 80%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back