Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recloser Reliability

Status
Not open for further replies.

ichrist

Electrical
Oct 22, 2007
CA
I am attempting to evaluate the reliability for modern style single phase reclosers (vacuum interrupting, electronic controllers). My gut instinct is that the recloser itself will outlast the electronic controllers. In other words, batteries and controller replacements would dominate the maintenance concerns.
I would like to know if there is any data to quantify my belief and maybe even provide a rationale to predict how often a controller will typically require replacement.
Thanks for your help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If your criteria is just maintaining functional protection with the controller, I'd bet on the control outlasting the recloser. The problem is that new features and capabilities continue to be added to the controls, giving the impression of obsolescence. But there are a lot of old Form 3A and Form 4 controls still out there.

Look at it this way - Schweitzer gives a 10 year warranty (and so far a lifetime warranty) on their recloser relays. ABB and Cooper give one year warranties on the reclosers. The relay doesn't have to interrupt fault current or take all of the other abuse the recloser sees.

Anecdotally, we've seen problems with both the controls and the reclosers, but nearly all of the problems with the controls have been with one model, so I think our experience is not the norm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back