Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recognizing "sinusoidal" signal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pallern

Computer
Jul 13, 2004
NO
I am working with a pattern recognition problem, using 1-dimensional movement data, and some small movement patterns i'm looking at are characterized by looking like small sinuses (nice rounded curves), they appear sometimes here and there, with different duration (sometimes 1/2 period, sometimes 2 periods etc), and the amplitude and frequency is changing dynamically.

Can someone tip me of a "filter"/"pattern recognizer"/set of mathematic properties that will recognize this pattern from other types of signals? I have done some testing using neural networks (backprop) to discriminate the sinus-like patterns from everything else, but making the training set robust enough is a teedious job... Any input appreciated :)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This certainly won't solve your problem entirely, but to shed more light on the situation you could try performing a spectral analysis on the signal (i.e. take the DFT of the signal). That would at least tell you how much power is alloceted at each frequency.

Thanks for the response! I have tried using fft, but as the frequency and amplitude are varying in time, the information gets a bit "cluttered" in frequency domain. I guess what I'm asking for is an algorithm to recognize a signal that is smooth, looks like sinuses of varying amplitudes/frequency, as opposed to signal that contains straight lines/spikes -> not as nice-looking.

- how do I post my data here, is it possible to "attach" files to messages?

You can take the fourier transform of any signal, regardless of length, so the short nature of this data wouldn't preclude its use. However, it sounds like you've tried that route.

What about using a correlation algorithm? In my line of work, we use these to track a particular pattern as it moves in space from one sequential image to another. Maybe this idea could be adapted to search for the sinusoidal patterns you expect in your 1-D data.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back