Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

recommend a decent mechanical drafting book. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

LONDONDERRY

Mechanical
Dec 20, 2005
US
Greetings-
Can anyone recommend a decent drafting book for mechanical engineers. A few of the Green mechanical engineers seem to lack basic drafting skills

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've had the third edition of this on my bookshelf for probably 30 years. Still open it regularly even though I almost never do actual drafting or design anymore.

I've had the first edition of this one for nearly as long and also open it frequently. This one comes at the topic from the other direction, how to read engineering drawings. I find that thinking about the reader helps the drafter make better drawings.

All of the engineers I work have no basic drafting skills. The book would be good for them.
Unfortunately they wouldn't use it, they think drafting skills are not a necessity because what they think works is good enough.

Kudos to you for wanting them to learn!

ctopher, CSWP
SolidWorks '17
ctophers home
SolidWorks Legion

Thanks Chris.
I do have an additional questions. I work in a group of 8 ME's, probably 3, including myself have years of drafting experience, the remainder are fresh out of college. Would anyone recommend having these folks, do drawing first to get their drafting skills up before designing or not?

The best teacher I know of is a strict drawing checker, but they seem to have gone the way of the drawing board. There's more to creating a good drawing than making "a nice picture for the nice man" (to quote my HS drafting teacher).
[deadhorse]

"Know the rules well, so you can break them effectively."
-Dalai Lama XIV

Thanks EWH and Chris,
been many decades since I've used a drafting board..
Ahh the smell of Buttercut oil and metal chips.. Unfortunately our company doesn't have and in-house machine shop and I believe most have never even been to one..

Its difficult for new engineers to start working on practical problems as soon as they are out of school. This is like we expect the complex machine to be working smoothly as soon as we design and manufacture it without some sort of back and forth changes.

I suggest to test their current level of knowledge using tests (subjective/objective or to make them draw a existing product drawing with all details by providing general benchmark drawing guidelines). Then evaluating their performance through test scores/commented drawings and comparing them with each other. This test is to realize them/you where they are lacking and focus on what they need to look for. Then may be suggesting a book or whatever resources at your disposal is appropriate.

May be (highly improbable, though) some will come out clean. This may make your life easy without making difficult their's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back