Recommend an easy to use LIDAR viewer

Status
Not open for further replies.

P.Youll

Civil/Environmental
May 14, 2018
GB
Evening All,

I am hoping someone can recommend me an easy-to-use LIDAR data viewer.

I essentially need to utilise free LIDAR data published around the UK to generate ground level profiles for pipelines. I have attempted to use GRASSGIS and FUGRO viewer with little success as the data files I am attempting to drop in appear to be in an incompatible format. I have attached a copy of a typical area of LIDAR data freely available for South Wales to demonstrate the raw format.

If someone knows of a free piece of software which would:
A) display the data visually (as a heatmap type image) allowing me to pick off point elevations
B) plot a route on said software and extract a profile along said route

That would be fantastic. I am aware that the software packages I have tried may well be capable of doing this but cannot work out where to start in terms of converting the data to the correct format. As a result I have (embarrassingly) been using conditional formatting in excel to generate an incredibly poor but just about workable heat map and manually lifting values from there.

Any recommendations on a program or a simple list of instructions on how to correctly covert the data would be fantastic.

Many thanks in advance!

Peter

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=054b1d7c-402d-42b5-b547-8613a7190956&file=sn5011_dsm_1m.asc
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks Dik,

That program seems alot simpler. Im still trying to work out how to draw a profile but will persevere!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back