Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Recommend study materials for EE PE Exam

Status
Not open for further replies.

JigaWatt

Electrical
Jul 15, 2002
US
I'm in the process of studying for the EE PE Exam in April, and I'm figuring out that I need more references (I'm using the MGI "PE Readiness" study books). I need references that cover Generators, Motors, and Transformers. I spent virtually no time on these subjects in school, and I'm feeling a bit lost, even though I think these should be fairly simple. A text that covers these subjects in a manner similar to how they will be presented on the PE Exam would be great. I intend to take the "Power" depth (afternoon) exam. Any tips on books/references would be greatly appreciated.

Also, if anyone has any references they would like to sell, I would be intersted.

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I used the study guide by John A. Camara, and highly recommend it. Check out Amazon.com for it - about $110. It provided a broad overview, and served as a valuable reference during the exam.

Thanks for the information. I'm really thinking about getting the PPI (John A. Camara) books, everyone seems to recommend them. Do they have a thorough amount of basic material? The problem is that I never studied these subjects at all in school (motors, generators, transmission lines, etc.), so I am completely unfamiliar with this stuff, and I have no references since I never took the classes. I guess what I'm asking is, with the Camara books, did you find yourself hunting for equations & explanations in other sources, or does he cover the essentials pretty well? Seems like that would be difficult to do in just two or three books.

If you never studied these subjects in school then it might not be a bad idea to sign up for a "cut to the chase" exam review course that will cover these subjects effectively.

JigaWatt,

As per my knowledge, in April PE takes law and ethics exam if I am not wrong, why u need to study for subjects? or you are preparing for confirmatory exam?
anyway Henri2, can you explain 'cut to chase exam' in detail, I have to appear for confirmatory exam and I am looking for preparative courses,how one can enroll and what are the fees and where it can be attended?

appy

The Camara book gives a pretty good summary of the general concepts involved, but a good machines textbook might be a good backup. If I remember correctly, machines (motors, transformers and generators) make up a significant portion of the Power afternoon session. If you had no studies of these in college, a review course (with a live instructor) would be money and time WELL spent!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back