Recommendation for Coating to Protect Concrete Force Main from H2S Corrosion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ziptron

Materials
Dec 9, 2010
CA
Hi Everyone,

As the thread subject says, I'm hoping to get some recommendations for a coating to coat a concrete force main and protect it from H2S gas produced by bacteria in the sewage. I expect H2S gas levels of around 400 ppm Past experiences/stories would be appreciated and names of coating manufacturers as well as coating types would be appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks for your quick replies.

Pipe is rather large, 900 mm. Not many bends. It would be a new install.

Going through a brain storm session on this project at the moment. I arbitrarily picked that ppm, but I'd like for it to sustain that based on some things that I am reading. Another thing I worry about is it may sit not completely full. I've read in the past that H2S will come out of the water solution and form H2S04 in the head space above the fluid. That may chew up the coating heavily no?

Anyone have experience with the above?

coatings are not the best recommendation. lined pipe is better. non-corrosive pipe is the best. keeping the velocity high and ppm low is better. avoid head space. aerate or oxygenate if necessary

I see several of you are suggesting pipe lining even though I mentioned that there would at times be some empty head space from the pipe not being full. Are there liners that will withstand that? Would they be an epoxy?

If so, could you recommend some pipe lining products for me to look into? Something odd to me about a force main with empty head space being OK as a design.

Should I simply be suggesting that we ensure it is always full instead of trying to find a coating that will likely fail anyway?

Thanks in advance,

coating is really not recommended. epoxy is a coating, not a lining

as recommended above, linings are superior to coatings. but non-corrodible pipes are even better

It is well known concrete is for various reasons a quite a difficult material to line for dependable long term service in such applications, with the best performance to date with well installed liners that are not really bonded as normal paint, but instead mechanically locked to the substrate. Even so, such liners are in practice not impermeable, and present other vulnerabilities in the real world e.g. as noted at etc.
As it appears you are now delving into issues of basic system design, you also may be interested in perspectives contained in past discussions of perhaps similar challenges e.g. and etc.

Stupid question, but why are liners better? Is it just easier to get a continuous surface without holidays in a liner than in a painted epoxy?

If you paint two times.. (two separate layers) and paint over the holidays, would you not have a good enough coating and be as good as a PVC liner for example?

A “coating” generally implies a thinner spray, brush or roller applied material, while a lining is considered to be thicker, usually trowel applied. Some linings are applied as sheets. Many linings today, are in fact, thicker layers of material that are also spray applied.

Ahh I see.

Is there a rule of thumb as to what thickness constitutes a liner? I have here in my specs a '20 mill' coating. Seems somewhat thick to me.. hence the confusion.

Sorry, it actually says 40 mill coating.. not sure where that 20 mill came from. Though in retrospect, even that seems a bit too thin based on what you guys are saying (and based on what common sense should have dictated to me from the start).

Thanks everyone for your kind replies. This website is truly a gem!

Call some local lining contractors. there are liners out there that will hold 100 psi. I know. I have been designing them for 20 years now. And there are new products out every couple years. We are are not allowed to sell our products here or I would be all over it.

Richard A. Cornelius, P.E.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back