Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recommendation for Job Site Cameras 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankHW

Civil/Environmental
Apr 21, 2017
US
Hey guys, my office is considering purchasing a job site camera for time-lapse project recording. I have very little knowledge about these cameras and after some research online I see there is wide pricing range from a bit above a hundred dollars to several grand. Can someone give me an introductory lesson about construction cameras as to the most important attributes and functions to consider before purchasing? Is live monitoring capability important? What power source (battery, power cable, solar, etc) works better? My projects are mostly water/wastewater treatment plant jobs. Any insight or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Can't help you => I'm looking for a very short range short focus digital camera for recording weld defects, scars, machining problems (1-3 inch focus length) for the office to analyze Good luck looking for video!

I had an earlier posting that I removed because to do time lapse photos, I had forgotten that I had patched the Canon Powershot OS. Worked extremely well. Also used Canon Powershot cameras for taking macros and with a little trial and error they worked well focusing down to 1" or less. I had posted a photo on an earlier thread that showed the detail.

The thread was thread507-313155, but the photo has been removed.

Dik

Agree with dik on the Canon PowerShot. I have a PowerShot G12 that I use for portability in the field. Takes good macro shots.

If I need higher resolution, either field or lab, I use a Canon 100mm macro lens with a ring light, on either an EOS 1Dx or an EOS 5D, both full frame cameras.

Here is a cross section of a welded galvanized pipe as part of a failure investigation (galvanizing burned off by welding...resulted in premature corrosion)....

IMG_7388_taxz4w.jpg

Dik,

Are you talking about the CHDK firmware mod? I've used that on both of my Canon Powershot cameras, works well. Oh, and it has quasi-official status with Canon, i.e. they have stated that use of the firmware update does not necessarily void the camera warranty.

btrueblood... Yup... works very well and easy to install From my SX30 to my SX60... Added: It's not really a firmware upgrade, but more like a program you can set to load on boot up. Ron: you should look into installing this kit; it has some useful features. On my 4th upgrade; I find the little Canon to be an excellent and relatively tough camera... also use the hotshoe with my larger strobe for my 'real' Canon 7D. I had posted using time lapse and had forgotten modding the cameras and removed the postings.

Added: The optical telephoto is really good... have propped the camera on ladders or things, focused on machine info plates with zoom, set the timer to minimise 'shake' and taken photos from 30' to read the tag info... works like a charm.

Dik

Dik....wish I could say those are Luder's bands....and they do look amazingly like them; however, they are bandsaw marks prior to polishing.

I am looking into the software/firmware you recommended. Thanks.

yup... was just jokin' about Luders' bands. They're for real on my photo...

You'll find the software exceptional... and there are more 'scripts' to do more things. Check it out first... it does not interfere with the existing firmware; no chance of bricking your camera. You can either load it as needed or, alternatively, have it load at startup automatically. When I told my son about it, he wanted to look into 'Rooting' my SX30...

I also use a Canon Speedlite 580EXII strobe with my XS's It's nearly as big as they are, but is an incredible strobe... just recharging the AA's. Haven't used it for a few months and this thread reminded me to check them.

Dik

Excellent info, Dik.

I use a lot of photography equipment. I once had to rig a ballhead on a sandbag with a remote trigger to shoot a roller coaster failure.

My biggest challenge remains with taking photomicrographs.

You might look at the dpreview forums and make a posting there. It's likely there are pros who do this work.

It takes a lot of effort to do the job.

Look up the guys who photograph NASA launches. They have to leave the cameras unattended without remote control and ready to photograph the launch for a period of days after they set up. It might even extend longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back