Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recommendation of HDPE for outdoor fence?

Status
Not open for further replies.

polymer2006

Materials
Sep 12, 2006
US
Please give me some suggestion of the grade of HDPE used for outdoor fence, the shelf life is at least three years.

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

First I would suggest that you contact a reputable PE / PP supplier. I have had excellent experience with Borealis but there are many others. The main point is probably to get an HDPE that suits your processing method (extrusion)and that has the appropriate UV stabilisers for use outdoors. HDPE should work well as I know that decking is made in PE and works fine. According to Google you can use HDPE for fences and even recycled HDPE will work fine if you want to get rock bottom materials costs.

The MFI, UV stabiliser package and colour will all be critical. HDPE will not stand up without a good UV package.

As Demon3 says, contact a reputable supplier with a lot more details than you posted here, like processing method, design details, environment for use, consequence of failure.

Regards

eng-tips, by professional engineers for professional engineers
Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

Pe is resistant to UV provided it has sufficinet carbon black dispersed in the resin. many pipelines in mines are just laid on the ground in Australian conditions.

That said PE100 from a reputable manufacturer can be relied upon. Some of the other grades have regrind content that could have had the stabilisers and dispersants burnt up in the first extrusion.

Geoffrey D Stone FIMechE C.Eng;FIEAust CP Eng

Carbon black protects the matrix but not the surface.

Degradation of the surface will result in a poor appearance (not a problem in mining applications) and micro-cracks at the surface which will reduce impact and fatigue strength. If the part is designed with enough reserve strength this may not be a problem.

The level of protection from carbon black depends on particle size, amount of carbon and quality of dispersion.

A UV stabiliser will protect the surface.

Regards

eng-tips, by professional engineers for professional engineers
Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back