Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recommended machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

gadero

Electrical
May 30, 2003
US
We will be acquiring several new machines in the near future. The plan is to run AutoCAD 2009 on all machines and Revit on about 20% of the machines. The person responsible for the purchase is planning on the "System 1" machines. The only other option is the "System 2" machine.

I'm concerned that the "System 1" machine is not the right one for the job and need to pull together information or discussion points with back-up (sources) as to why the system is not appropriate. We will live with the system for the next 3 years.

Is my concern justified?

Can you help me out with the discussion points and back-up?

System 1

System: Dell OptiPlex 755
CPU: E8500 3.16Ghz Intel Core Duo 2
Cache: 4.0MB,
RAM: 2.0GB, Video RAM 256 MB
HDD: 160GB, 7200 RPM
Bus speed: 1333 MHz,
Power Supply: 305 Watts
Network Interface Card: 10/100/1000
Video Card: ATI Radeon X2400
Sound Card: AC97 Integrated audio
Monitor: 17" Flat Panel

System 2

Workstation Entry: Dell Precision T5400 Workstation (Single Processor) or (Dual Processor)

System: Dell Precision T5400

CPU: Dual Core Intel Xeon Processor X5260 (3.33GHz,6M L2,1333)
Cache: 4.0 MB,
RAM: 2.0 GB, Video RAM 512 MB
HDD: 250GB, 7200 RPM
Bus speed: 1333 MHz,
Power Supply: 750 Watts
Video Card: nVidia Quadro FX1700
Network Interface Card: 10/100/1000
Sound Card: AC97 Integrated audio
Monitor: 17" Flat Panel

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Is the "Video RAM" from an on-board video card with shared RAM? Or the RAM associated with the add-on video card?

It looks like there's not much in it with the processors, that the RAM is the same, and the System 2 has a superior video card. I think the fact that System 2 requires a power supply more than twice as powerful tells you how much harder that machine would work for you. To my mind, a few hundred bucks over the life of a computer is easily recouped in greater efficiency.

See the reply from Joel here: Bear in mind it was written last year and the card makers may have released new drivers and Autodesk may have certified more cards. Frankly, the fact that the X2400 was being considered nearly a year ago means that it's no longer at the cutting edge as far as video cards go, and for a CAD station, I wouldn't stray too far from the grind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back