Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

recommended minimum separation distances between crude oil tanks According to NFPA 30 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kald

Petroleum
Feb 26, 2003
US
is this correct According to NFPA 30, the recommended minimum separation distances between crude oil tanks are as follows:

For non-fire-resistance-rated tank construction:

For tanks with a capacity of more than 15,000 gallons (56,780 liters), the separation distance should be a minimum of 1.5 times the diameter or 15 meters, whichever is greater.
For fire-resistance-rated tank construction:

For tanks with a capacity of more than 15,000 gallons (56,780 liters), the separation distance should be a minimum of 0.75 times the diameter or 7.5 meters, whichever is greater.

As I check NFPA 30 2018 edition and don't found things like that , on other hand I found NFPA 30 table give separation distances range from 1/3 D to 1/6 D which is very small compared with GAP requirements which range in 1 to 1.5 D

Best regards

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

NFPA 30 has many different tables for different products and types of tanks. Please reference which table you are using and which code as they have changed over time.

there are separate distances for separation to the fenceline.

"NFPA 30 table" is not enough - please specify which of the many table sin NFPA 30 you are referring to.

Also it can change depending if they are in the same bunded area or not.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

You are right when I checked NFPA 30 , I found many different tables, but I refer to class II liquids in ch. 12, actually, I don't have hand experience in NFPA, but I am surprised that the safe distance is minimal compared with GAPS Guidelines or CCPS (Center for Chemical Process Safety) requirements

The GAPS guidelines are written from an insurance point of view which are concentrated mostly on property protection. NFPA standards are supposed to be part of a statutory body which impose the minimum requirements mostly for life safety. Therefore, it is expected that sometimes considerable differences can be found.

NFPA distances can be a bit tight alright. All depends how much space you have....

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

I've found that most large upstream plants, refineries, terminals and petrochemical plants in NA have followed spacing guidelines like GAP (originally Oil Insurance Association in the 1970's) but now are published in the CCPS Guidelines for plant layout and spacing, as well as being in many large company standards, so have become "RAGAGEP".

While many small oil production facilities (batteries) may have followed NFPA 30.

The difference in spacing affects the time for a full surface fire to escalate to ignition of adjacent tanks as described in the BP / IChemE publication "Liquid Hydrocarbon Storage Tank Fires: Prevention and Response" (excerpt attached).
Screen_Shot_2023-07-19_at_9.57.48_PM_kym3m0.png

Thank you for your response; it clarifies the reasons behind the variations in guidelines concerning the minimum separation distances required between crude oil tanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back