Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Recommended SolidWorks Notebook Computers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

m56

Mechanical
May 10, 2002
US
can someone recommend any good notebooks (laptop computers) that will run SolidWorks?
I work with Large assemblies, and I kind of like widescreens but not necessarily a must.
I tried searching the sw knowledge base and emailing my vendor, but haven't found anything so far
thanks for any replies.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I just saw some first tests run on the new HP 8510w notebook, very impressive, that Quadro FX 570M seems to be underestimated... The new 965 chipset (which the M90 does not have btw) also performs better both in raw cpu speed (from tests some 3-4%) and memory throughput than the same clockspeed cpu on the 945 (centrino) platform.

Here is a picture showing some cinebench results, amongst them the Z61p (my notebook) and the 8510w.

If you like 17" I'd say M90, if you like 15,4" get something from IBM or HP instead...

Stefan Hamminga
EngIT Solutions
CSWP/Mechanical designer
Searching Eng-Tips forums

I would have to recommend against HP's mobile workstations. I've got an NW9440 (see sig) and aside from having a full QWERTY (with 10-key!) the cooling and workmanship lends something to be desired. I would probably recommend going with a Dell or something else...just my $.02

Tony

HP NW9440
2 GB RAM
Quadro FX 1500M (84.88)
Solidworks 2006 SP5.0
Solidworks 2007 SP4.0

For what it's worth.

I have a Dell Inspiron E1705 w/ an ATI card and 1 gig of ram running Vista (SP 0 with no problems).

I have not had it that long but so far it's been great. My current model is up to about 300 parts with no slow down yet and it runs Cosmos Works on large weldments without any trouble.

One thing to remember when picking a computer to use. There is a world of difference between Solidworks Certified and "Won't work". I have tried a number of configurations over the years that were not certified, but I have never come across one that won't work. Just something to think about.

I'm using a Dell M90 for Solidworks. Sitting next to my MacBook Pro it looks like an aircraft carrier. But it's quiet and I've had no driver issues yet (XP32, SW07SP3). I'd recommend getting the high resolution option for detailing.

Chris Montgomery
Mechanical Engineer

I'm using the M90 for my away missions right now. It is very nice. And it will help bulk you up. I think the total package weights well over 20lbs. The powercord is practically its own computer. lol However, even with the weight, I'd still recommend.

Matt
CAD Engineer/ECN Analyst
Silicon Valley, CA
sw.fcsuper.com
Co-moderator of Solidworks Yahoo! Group

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back