Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

recommended spacings of storage tanks 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

allegro5

Petroleum
Nov 2, 2005
FR
I am laying out a plant with corrosive produced water atmospheric storage tanks. These tanks also contain fuel gas for blanketing so as to reduce intake of oxygen. For the purposes of safety I am looking to classify these tanks.i.e. should i use the same spacings as crude oil storage tanks in respect to distance from process equipment/roads/boundaries etc

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

allegro5.....

NFPA-30 contains information on the placement and spacing of tanks containing flammable liquids. The liquids must be categorized based on the flash point. If, after initial design, the plant operations decides to fill a tank with a different liquid,you many be in violation of the NFPA-30

NFPA-30 also contains guidelines on minimum distances between these tanks and occupied buildings as well as property lines.

A properly performed HAZOP for your plant should detail and document your reasons for tank location prior to contruction.

Addtionally, it is always a good idea to talk to the insurer of the plant and find out what his requirements are....

My opinion only....

-MJC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back