Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recovering backup and autosave files

Status
Not open for further replies.

corvette63

Civil/Environmental
Sep 28, 2004
US
I am running CAD 2005 and need help figuring out how to recover backup files and autodsave files. When I launch the files I CAD opens up but I get an error "Can't find specified drawing file....". I think the problem is that the files are not .dwg, but I cant figure out how to make them .dwg.

Thank you for your help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you use Windows, Open Windows Explorer. Right click on file, choose "Rename", delete ".bak", replace with ".dwg". Double click on new file, it will open with AutoCAD.

I'm certain there is a similar way to rename files in Apple, but I don't know that.

Engineering is the practice of the art of science - Steve

Tried that but am not able to change the file type. The filename does not have a .bak extension but that is the type of file it is listed as when I go to details in Explorer.

Wheen I try to open the renamed file with a .dwg extension I get an error from CAD that say cant find the specified file verify that the file exists. When I try to open the file from CAD I cannot find it because it it not recognizing the file as a .dwg

When you go into Windows Explorer to rename the file do you know if you have the "Hide extensions for know file types checked" if this is checked then you have renamed the file from xxx.bak to xxx.dwg.bak and so ACAD will not see it as a .DWG file.

If you go into Windows Explorer then on the TOOLS menu, then the VIEW tab of the FOLDER OPTIONS menu you can uncheck "Hide extensions for known files" then you should be able to rename the file.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back