Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rectangular flat compression spring

Status
Not open for further replies.

AsHRITH S

Mechanical
Nov 8, 2016
US
Hello Everyone,
I am looking for the design calculation for the type of spring which is shown in the attached link below. I am not sure about how to approach this kind of spring with a correct technical name. I also referred to the SAE spring manual, Unfortunately this type of spring calculation is missing in that as well . I hope some of the scholars out here will help in getting the right information and carry on with my work.

https://www.quora.com/Where-can-we-find-the-design-calculations-for-type-of-compression-spring-shown-in-the-image-below/answer/Dethan-N?__snid3__=481158696&__nsrc__=1&__filter__=all
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Basically this spring made flat springs in "series". Meaning, you need to calculate only one of the flat springs and multiply the deflection by the number of springs and divide the spring rate by the number of springs. In the example shown there are seven flat springs in series. Therefore, you need to calculate one of them for deflection vs. force, which gives the rate too. Then multiply by 7 to get the deflection vs. force for the complete spring and divide the rate by 7 to get the rate of the complete spring. For stress calculations you need to take into account the stress concentration factor due to the bending radius between the flat springs.

Thanks for your concern sir.
I will work with information provided by you. Ill revert back to you in case if i have any queries.

There is no name that I am familiar with. However, in the book from Chironis there was a spring called magazine spring (probably for bullet magazine for a weapon).

The name of the spring is Accordion spring, it would be helpful if you could suggest where i can get access to its design procedure & calculations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back