Rectangular Hollow Section and Base Plate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert_spider

Structural
Apr 7, 2023
IE
Hi to all,
I am new in the field of Steel/Aluminum Construction.

I have a fixed connection detail at the Bottom where the Square rectangular hollow section has to be welded to the base plate to create a fix connection.

I Have heavy moment.
Lateral Reaction
And Vertical (Axial) Dead Load.

I want to design the connection so I Want to know how can check the weld against the forces mentioned above and also what is the method (Formula/procedure) to design the weld.

Please do guide me.

Regards

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Short answer: You can use the "elastic method" to calculate the required fillet weld.

Practical answer: A general solver is in Alex T's WELDGRP excel spreadsheet. Google search "Alex Tomanovich weld group" and download it. Then input the required weld group and load coordinates in the "Weld Group (elastic)" tab. Only consider the fillet welds along the "HSS workable flat" as the weld group. This will get you the maximum resultant force(kips/in) in the weld group, which can be converted to a required fillet weld size. If doing AISC steel design, divide by 1.392 kips/in/16th (LRFD) or 0.928 kips/in/16th (ASD). Compare the required fillet weld size for loads vs the maximum fillet weld the HSS/plate base metal can handle.

FWIW, welded aluminum design is quite a bit different, as the capacity of the base aluminum is significantly reduced during the welding process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back