Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rectangular Tank Design 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oceania

Mechanical
May 2, 2006
AU
Can anyone help with a design code for rectangular tanks. I have tried alot of the on-line code suppliers but am unable to identify a code that covers these tanks. I appreciate that they are mostly atmospheric, but any suggestions would be appreciated

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes. ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code, Section VIII, Div 1 Mandatory Appendix 13 titled
"Vessels of Noncircular Cross Section"

What size, material, and application are you looking for?

Roark's Formulas for Stress and Strain has some design information on rectangular tanks, I believe.

Some of the standards for circular tanks can be used for non-circular as well, although they won't have design methods.

This topic was discussed earlier couple of times. Search for previous threads. There is an excellent paper about design of atmospheric rectangular tanks by Kanti Mahajan, appeared in Chemical Engineering March, 1977 edition. One member of eng-tips prepared an excel sheet based on the procedure. I hope you can get a hint from the ealier threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back