Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recycled Asphalt

Status
Not open for further replies.

WILDWINGS27

Civil/Environmental
Mar 5, 2006
US
I am designing a parking lot and the contractor wants to use recycled asphalt. What are the negatives to using this? I assume that the parking lot may not last as long but are their any other concerns? If it matters, I live in the midwest with some pretty cold winters.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We tried this a few years ago with regrettable results. We did not stabilize the subgrade and perhaps this would have helped. Our loads ( vehicles ) were dump trucks and highway equipment. The material we used was what we call millings or RAP.
If your p-lot is only temporary then maybe it will satisfy your needs.
I cannot comment on the freeze thaw aspect as our weather is mild compared to the midwest.

good luck

My group doesn't specify the recycled asphalt as binder or wearing course. We use the milled AC as part of the base section.

We use RAP as a sort of enhanced base course, or mix it in with new HMA at a limited percentage. I think we max out at 15% unless it's fractionated, and then it can go up to 25%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back