Red Light Timing

Status
Not open for further replies.

macmet

Materials
Jul 18, 2005
CA
Hello Everyone,

I have a personal question regarding a traffic light near my office.

This particular traffic light is at an intersection on a main road with entry/exit branches to shopping centres on both sides of the street. Generally throughout the day there is enough traffic that cars will be coming out the shopping centres regularly, but in the early mornings when the shopping centres are still closed, there are no cars waiting at the light trying to turn out of the centres.

So what happens when I am driving to the office at 7am there are no cars waiting to leave either centre, so the traffic light on the main rod goes green - amber - red and then it will be red in all directions for the three seconds and then it will go green again on the main road.

The reason I ask is I seem to get stuck behind cars that see that the light is read and they stop at the light, check the radio, their phone, sip of coffee, or whatever they do, they assume the light is going to be red, but it goes back green immediately. I know that drivers should not be distracted and it is ultimately their responsibility, but this seems to be a potential safety risk. Why would it not just stay green?

Is this a new method of timing for lights or is this a mix-up? I cannot think of anywhere else I have seen this, but at the same time, unless I am driving to work, I am rarely on the roads under these traffic conditions.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It sounds like something is messed up with this cycle. I've never heard of this, and to me sounds like a great way to cause a rear end collision.

It sounds like the shopping center approaches wanted to be actuated, but that isn't happening.

Unfortunately, while our companies at least occasionally update our computers, I think most traffic light controllers might still be running their original configurations. One thing that happens to me a bit is that the side streets will have pavement sensors for the cross light, which will also trip for right turns. But the right turns complete so quickly that the main road's lights will go red and almost immediately switch back to green. These are idiosyncrasies, just light the cross lights that are still on timers and will stop the main road even if there's traffic, so you sit there like a noob while there's absolutely nothing happening. One issue that hides behind all of these is probably cost. Installing a pavement sensor used to cost about $500 20 yrs ago, not counting the cost of the hardware upgrades in the controller. This is then followed up having to replace the sensor after a few years because no matter how well it's sealed, moisture invariably gets in and breaks the sensor.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Of course I can. I can do anything. I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert!
There is a homework forum hosted by engineering.com:

It sounds like there are problems with the vehicle detection on the driveways, so the computer is compensating by making sure they get served whether they need it or not. Call the agency that maintains the road, and ask them to look into it. Chances are, the shopping centers maintain the signal, or pay the highway department to do so.

Alright, I have sent in a notice to the traffic services division. We will see what they say and I will respond to this when/if I hear back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back