Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Reduced-Noise Gas Flow Design Guide and spreadsheet by Nelson and NASA 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric Kelly

Industrial
Sep 14, 2024
MX
I'm new here and I know others have asked for this with no result, I just wanted to see if anyone has got a hold of the full manual and spreadsheet by now.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This is also worth using as search terms.

Find out more about Gienn Research Center resources for noise control
and hearing conservation on the World Wide Web:

Bibliography

Nelson, D.A.; and Cooper, B.A.: Reduced-Noise Gas Flow Design Guide for NASA
Glenn Research Center. Proceedings of InterNoise 99, the International Congress on
Noise Control Engineering. Institute of Noise Control Engineering, Washington, DC,
1999. (Available online:

Engineering and Technical Services

Cooper, B.A.; and Nelson, D.A.:
Development of a 'Quiet-by-Design'
Approach to Reduced-Noise Gas Flow
Systems for Experimental Research
Facilities at NASA Lewis Research Cen-
ter. Presented at the 136th Meeting of
the Acoustical Society of America,
October 12-16, 1998.

Nelson, D.A.; and Cooper, B.A.: A
"Reduced-Noise Gas Flow Design
Guide" for NASA Glenn Research
Center. Proceedings of Internoise '99,
Dec. 5-8, 1999.

Glenn contact:

Beth A. Cooper, (216) 433-3950,
Beth.A.Cooper@grc.nasa.gov

Author: Beth A. Cooper

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Thank you LittleInch. Contacting David Nelson directly was the best of options. He was so kind as to send me his update version of it.

Let the rivers of knowlage flow free througout the web.

Care to post it so the we can get a copy of he's sending it out for free....

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

I came across this thread and got curious on the topic; so I reached out to Nelson as well. He was very forthcoming with the documents, sending me a copy with his personal updates - in the spirit that NASA intended as a public service.

With that in mind - see attached documents for the Design Handbook and Worksheet(s).

David Nelson's disclaimer:

"
The Excel workbook was developed for NASA Glenn Research Center back in 1999.
There was no money for development and maintenance of the Guide or for support, so I've made corrections to errors as I discovered them. Also there are a few formatting gaffes that show up in later versions of Excel, including a horrible rendition of my old logo and some of the drop down lists text appearing upside down! Not exactly confidence inspiring. If you're not used to making noise control computations, the whole thing could be a bit overwhelming.
I'm attaching a recent copy with my personal updates, in the spirit that NASA intended as a public service. Because I haven't paid serious attention to it for 20-25 years I have to make a disclaimer that I'm not warranting its accuracy, as well as that it's not a substitute for the services of a noise control professional. The calculations are borrowed from various publications which may have assumptions about their use, with the result that inputs outside the intended range could give "crazy" results. A professional could see that and apply appropriate skepticism to adjust accordingly.
Best Regards

David
"

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=420f7771-11a8-41fe-9cae-314e8d629c49&file=Reduced-Noise_Gas_Flow_Design_Guide_6_copy.pdf
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back