Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reducing File Size Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

sundevil98

Mechanical
Apr 5, 2001
US
Why is it that if I suppress all but the first feature of a model and save it to disk that the file size is considerably smaller than if I saved the same model with all the features in a resumed state?

This really makes no logical sense to me. All of the same information is contained within the file - it it not?

Is there any way to save a file so that the file size is reduced upon closing without having to regenerate the file? I'm not running out of disk space or anything, I just have a lot of models to load on to an FTP server (150MB worth), and it would be nice to be able to make the file transfers quicker without our customer having to go through all of the trouble of resuming all of the features in every model (if I were to use that technique). The customer already has enough problems using Pro/E as it is right now.

Hopefully, someone can explain why, and offer some suggestions.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would consider using the Advanced Pro/Assembly option called Creating an Exported Shrinkwrap model.

To share data with internal and external design groups and improve performance in large assembly design, you can capture lightweight representations of models, called "Shrinkwrap models." A Shrinkwrap model is based on the external surfaces of the source part or assembly model and captures the "skin," or outer shape, of the source model.

Just a suggestion.

How about creating a MAPKEY to automate the insert mode cancellation for your customer?

Best regards,

Matthew Ian Loew
"Luck is the residue of design."
Branch Rickey

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

I believe the reason the normal file is larger is because the results of the calulations to create the geometry are stored in the file. If the file were stored with the features supressed files would take longer to open. Try opening an instance of a family table instead of the generic if you want an demonstration.

When ptc changed to binary files around 19 or 2000i the file size shrank alot.

If the customer only needs to view the files look at simplified reps.

If you supress features make sure they resume before sending the files.

ProEpro

Pro/E FAQ

Instead of supressing the features, why not just move the position of the "insert here" to the top of the model tree, and save that. Then when you open just drag the arrow to the bottom again.
Or you can make the files automatically compress by going to : tools/options....then typing in the "options" box at the bottom left : compress_output_files. The select "yes" to activate it. If you do both of these things the files will be much smaller.(but a bit slower to see)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back