Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Redundant member in lattice towers

Status
Not open for further replies.

rubenpezu

Industrial
Jun 12, 2012
ES
Hi,

I have some doubts with the definition of redundant members.

The horizontal or the redundant members with less than 15º(or 30º, I'm not sure) sould have define with the load of a worker. Am I right? ASCE 10-97 3.14.8.

And the rest of redundant member only according KL/r with L/r<250?

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you run the latest version (or a fairly recent version) of PLS-Tower, there is a redundant analysis check that will check for man loads and a load case that will most likely be in ASCE-10 for the next revision that will be coming out soon. Read the user's manual for Tower for a better description, but basically it checks the stiffness of the redundant by checking for a load capacity.

My actual version is 10.60. I don't have the option to check the redundants. I will ask to upgrade the current version. Now I have to check the redundants manually.

Have ASCE 10-97 any consideration to check the redundant who are with an angle less than 30º? Where you have to consider the aditional load of a worker with his equipment?

Thanks.

Yes, if your company has paid for maintenance you should be able to upgrade to the latest version with the redundant checks. I believe the new version of ASCE 10 will have the man-load requirement in it. The theory is that redundants and main members that frame into the leg at less than 30° will be able to have a worker stand on them.

For heavy tower many a times redundant design is govern by % of leg load. We have to design redundant for 1.5 to 2.5 % of leg load.

Nitin

The equation for redundant capacity as a percentage of main member load will be in the new edition of ASCE 10 and is already in PLS-Tower (the newer versions).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back