Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Reference Component/Configuration in Assy equation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocheey

Industrial
Jan 21, 2001
US
Referencing Component/Configuration in Assy equations ...

Is this possible?

Can I have 2 configurations of a part file, with config-specific dimensions,loaded into an assembly as 2 different components, and drive that dimension in-context from the assembly? (And have each config have a different value ?)

Equations (as shown in the equation editor) reference only the part file name, but recording a macro references the actual component name. Since equations actually execute a mini vba program, I was wondering if there is a work-around?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

rocheey,
What I have done to accomplish this is to have the part1.sldprt inserted into a subassembly called part1.sldasm. Then I have two configurations in part1.sldasm. In the next higher assembly I control the configurations that have different dimensions in the lower configurations.

Bradley

rocheey
That depends on what you are trying to control via the equation. If it is the length, width or thickness of a part ... then no. If it is a features size or placement dimension ... then yes ... well almost ... sort of.

A workaround might be to:-
1) Create duplicate identical features (#1 & #2) in the part.
2) In first config, suppress feature #1 in second suppress #2.
3) In each config, give unique names to the feature dimensions you want to use in the Equation.
4) Insert both configs into an assy & create your Equation.

The Equation will then be referencing different dimensions in the same part, but will, in effect, be controlling the same feature.

[cheers] from (the City of) Barrie, Ontario.

[ponder] What happens if you get scared half to death twice? [ponder]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back