Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Reference for chisel and bailor method against the dynamic impact for piling work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinothsekar

Civil/Environmental
Apr 27, 2019
IN
Hello,

I am doing the piling work using chisel and bailor method with rigid gantry platform. The gantry has two pile grid with 7.5m length and 15m width. The gantry has 2 A-frame to do chisel the pile simultaneously (Photo is attached for reference). My client has given the NCR to stop the piling work simultaneously and we have to do the individual pile after the completion of 24hrs and that is causing us time loss for my project. I Need to get justification towards the quality of boring do not get hampered due to Chisel and bailor method as against piling rig.

I have the reference for pile boring using rotary rig from FHWA for Drilled shafts (Construction procedure and LRFD design methods)
The manual FHWA for Drilled shafts (Construction procedure and LRFD design methods) stated that vibration due to driving of piles immediately adjacent to freshly placed pile concrete is not harmful. Also minimum concreting radius establishment not required.
In accordance with FHWA manual no need to wait for 24 hours after concreting work to start drilling of adjacent pile.

I dont have any reference for chisel and bailor method against the dynamic impact. kindly requesting to share any reference to tackle this problem to aviod the time loss?

Attached pile gantry image for ready reference

Vinothkumar S
Geotechnical Engineer

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=0013e069-903e-4674-979b-6c9469df1e30&file=Gantry_withA-frame.pdf
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,

I have found these reference for my thread.
Reference are given the attachment.

As we all well known for the spacing of pile for construction which listed below
1.IS 2911-part 2/2010 – for socketing pile minimum spacing 2.5D section 6.6
2.IS 14593 -1998 - for rock socketing pile minimum spacing 2.5D section 6.10
3.BS EN 1536 - The center to center distance for bored piles produced with a time-difference less than 4 h should be at least four times D or W with a minimum of 2 m. Sec 8.2.1.12
4.Geo Publication 1/2006 – Minimum spacing of the pile sec 7.2.

Vinothkumar S
Geotechnical Engineer

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=b6cb004d-3bd5-4cbe-90af-6b4c917e40ea&file=Code_of_practise_for_Foundation_2017.pdf
The referencee is taken from the Code of Practice for Foundations 2017 book section 5.4.5 page no 68 is attached for your ready reference.

Vinothkumar S
Geotechnical Engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back