Reference on Conc. Shear wall on a Conc. Slab 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

otto_eng

Civil/Environmental
Jun 27, 2017
DE
Hi all,

I have a condition in one of my projects in which I need to terminate the conc. shear wall on the conc. slab that is above the garage (foundation floor). I have not done such a design before and I am not able to find any references or examples.
Normally I assume a fixed cant. beam approach for my shear wall calcs. when it is supported by a wall which is bearing on a foundation. I do not think that I can provide fixity in this condition via the conc. slab or would that even be possible ? I know that shear could be a problem on the slab for such a condition but I can provide shear reinforcement...
I would like to get your input on this matter and would be really good if you have any references for such a condition !
Thanks !

* attached is not the full model , just wanted to indicate what I mean with my question..

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=3b283c04-897b-4ccc-929f-cb9d2886a922&file=reference.png
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In this case , i will not encourage and IMO it is not a good idea to plant shear walls on beams above the garage storeys. The shear walls could clash with the parking areas but still i would prefer the reduced no. of parking place and if necessary , i would prefer to add one more basement storey .

If the only option is terminating the conc. shear wall on the conc. ground floor slab , you may design the GF slab as heavy transfer plate and consider PT.

You may post the typical floor, basement floor plans together wit more info. to get better responds.

Use it up, wear it out;
Make it do, or do without.

NEW ENGLAND MAXIM

Yeah, you're basically doing a building on a podium when you're doing this. You need to do a big transfer slab or beam grillage to make it work.

How tall's the building? Is this seismic or wind governed, and how bad? I have not done this, but I've sat through local case studies on this sort of construction. Be really careful with your R values and building response assumptions if you're doing this in a moderate or high seismic zone.

I have done this several times (in a non-seismic zone). The slab will effectively serve as your foundation. In England (EC1 EC2 and AD-A), the slab will need to be designed as a 'key' element, and the walls and floor should be capable of withstanding a notional load of 34kPa for accidental actions. Design the slab as a transfer slab and verify bending and shear as you normally would in flat slab design. The strut-and-tie method would be required if the shear wall is located close to a support (less than 2d). There will be almost no benefit to having a fixed connection in the short direction of the wall (weak axis). Therefore, I would assume a pin connection with the slab in this direction. In the long direction (strong axis), there will be a triangular distribution of forces, and the slab will need to be designed accordingly, including a punching shear check. Construction sequence effects are important and you should read more about. Check on google or youtube 'Importance of Construction Sequence Analysis in design'
Image_04_lt17ih.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back