Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Reference-Only Surface for complex pattern

Status
Not open for further replies.

jengrbm

Mechanical
Oct 20, 2014
US
I need to pattern many spheres as if a sheet of them were draped across a dome, so I revolved a simple sphere and then used the "fill" pattern in Creo2 and the "follow surface shape" option in "options" to pattern the spheres. In order to create the surface for this pattern to reference, I revolved a sketch to create a domed surface. This method creates the pattern of spheres that I need, BUT I don't want the referenced surface showing up as geometry in my part. Whenever I try to hide or suppress the surface, the pattern of spheres is hidden or suppressed as well. Is there any way to make the surface reference only, or suppress it without losing the pattern?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Did you create a surface or a revolved solid?

1) Suppressing an item suppresses all its children, no matter the type of the suppressed item
2) You should not be able to hide a solid feature, but hiding a surface should not hide any children
3) You can hide an entire solid part within an assembly

I created a surface, not a revolved solid. After further digging for the "hide" command I was indeed able to hide the surface with my pattern still intact. I had previously been trying the "suppress" and "exclude" (still not sure what this one means) commands without success. I guess I was just saying "hide" before by dumb luck (or intuitive word choice by Creo Parametric). Sorry for misspeaking, and thanks for the help!.

You can just select a feature in the model tree, right mouse button and pick hide on the popup menu. No digging required. Solids will not hide but surfaces, datums, cosmetics, etc. will hide. If you want to keep them hidden in the next session, you need to save the layer status prior to saving the file, totally unintuitive.

----------------------------------------

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back