Reference to "code latest edition" in engineering standards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam0660

Mechanical
Jun 12, 2023
CA
Hi all,

I came across in an engineering specification to a reference that it’s complying to "code latest edition" instead of pointing out to a specific edition (example API Standard 1104, 22nd Edition or 2021).

Is a reference to a “latest edition” or “latest revision” acceptable from compliance perspective?

Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It depends. Simply referencing "the latest edition" may not be correct. In the US, we are governed by the IBC. Each state has an adopted version of the IBC (i.e. 2015, 2018, etc). Each version of the IBC has a section that specifically cites which other code versions are reference, for example AISC or ACI. The code references are not necessarily the latest version available.

Most of my projects have been in the public works sector, so the rules that apply to public bidding of projects may not apply to you. Regardless, when I refer to "latest edition" of a code, I make sure that my contract documents define "latest edition" as the version that is current on the date of the bid opening.

============
"Is it the only lesson of history that mankind is unteachable?"
--Winston S. Churchill

The City of Winnipeg insists on using the code stipulated versions of the various standards... our code references the NCB that is over a decade 'out of service'. Engineers should be using the current informaton available; it's likely the most correct. Even our professional association 'backs up' the City's position. You just cannot win, and it will likely get worse. [pipe]

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Depends on what you are trying to comply with. The 20th edition of API 1104 is incorporated by reference in 49 CFR 192 and 195, so for pipelines regulated by those parts you need to comply with the referenced edition rather than the latest edition.

It may be acceptable in some situations. But it is not a exact way of specifying something that for some reason needs to be specified. It may lead to confusion, which is about the last thing you want when specifying.

Engineering Specification needs to mention specifically the version of the International standard that it is based on. It is expected that when the International standard is revised, revision of the Engineering specification also is taken up to make it up to date.
Also, the engineering specifications indicate a list of International standards which the subject product shall comply with. There it is mentioned that the latest version of the International standard is to be referred to.
Hierarchy of code compliance is also indicated and as a standard, the engineering specification takes precedence over the International standard (in case of any discrepancy in the two standards).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back