Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

References for Stability, PID tuning, etc please

Status
Not open for further replies.

doubledama

Electrical
Feb 27, 2010
US

I briefly learned about control systems for about a week as an undergraduate. That was years and years ago, now I'm back in school knee deep in linearization of a feedback control loop with a PI controller on it.

So, I've figured out how to take the physical system and derive this "linearized" control equation (I think...), Now I'm trying to figure out how to choose my controller gains, and evaluate system stability w/ routh criterion.

I've got the Ogata(sp?) paper, but this type of writing makes my head hurt, wondering if anyone out there can point me towards other useful references?

Much Thanks
SPA

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Ogata paper? Do you mean the Ogata text? I refer to it sometimes. Very good reference.
If you have the linearized equations you can form a characteristic equation. With this you can use routh hurwitz, root loci, or nyqist analysis to determine the stability.
The gains should be chosen base on other criterion's such as overshoot ect. Or maybe LQR, ect. depending on what you are doing.
Also,
A good online reference is this:

[peace]
Fe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back