Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

References for Steam Systems Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

dogtop

Chemical
Jan 18, 2005
US
Dear Eng-Tipers,

Can someone suggest books, articles, pamphlets, etc. (printed information) that give guidelines on how to design steam distribution systems for chemical plants?
TIA, dogtop

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Ditto the Spirax Sarco reference: Up until very recently, you used to be able to download the entire spirax sarco book in pdf. It is still available on the website in html, and can be ordered in book form. A very useful, practical guide.

The often cited, big "Steam:its generation and use" book from babcock and wilcox is very detailed on the equipment side and dials down to process requirements for specific applications.

Spirax Sarco is my best reference - they often provide 1 and 2 day courses in steam system design with respect to velocities, traps, piping design, etc. Check with your local rep. They also have a couple of good design manuals/books - I forget the titles, but they sit on the top shelf for fast reference.

dog....

The best books and references we can give you only depend on what kind of system that you are trying to build.

The "Steam" book by B&W is a classic for power plant boilers and steam systems. Process steam systems are only mentioned tangentially.

All of the Spirax information is also very good, but is only for systems that distribute saturated steam and does not give you the kind of information that you would need for multi-pressure, multi-use systems that you would find in a refinery.

Over the past twenty years I have collected three binders of information about various aspects of integrated steam and condensate system design.

-MJC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back