Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

References? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ginsoakedboy

Mechanical
Oct 14, 2004
US
Can someone please point me to literature relating to transients (cooldown) in the production tubing in an oil/gas well during shutdowns/shut-ins?

This would be a specific case of natural convection in a vertical cylinder with ends maintained at extreme temperatures.

Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A lot of people read this forum. The key to getting answers to questions/requests is to: (1) provide a title that causes someone to wonder if there is going to be a chance that they'll learn something from the discussion (you failed miserably there); and (2) provide a question that someone might find interesting enough to bother (again "D-" to a solid "F"). I give you some credit for being polite, but still boring.

Now if you had rephrased your question to discuss a particular problem/issue/confusing-measurement on a vertical cylinder with elevated temp on the ends, and posted it in "Heat Transfer & Thermodynamics Engineering" I would expect considerable discussion. Bare faced requests for references are seldom very well received (I never address them, and a lot of folks are with me on that), sometimes a kind soul will do a Google search for you but that seems to be getting more and more rare.

You have to remember that everyone here is working for free. If your "question" is too much like work then most of us will just close it and go back to the jobs we're being paid for. No one has any obligation to do your research for free. If you make it interesting then the wealth of information on eng-tips.com is without parallel in the world. If you make it boring, you'll quickly be talking to yourself.

David Simpson, PE
MuleShoe Engineering
Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

Remember, being ignorant isn't your fault; staying ignorant is.

zdas04,

Thanks for the tips. I try to follow these myself. But, with this topic I decided to be very straightforward.

Based on extensive Google searches, I know that a quick search will not yield the answer. Also, no one is likely to know the answer off-hand, hence a focused request for literature sources only.

I asked this here as an oil or gas well is the prime application for this kind of a scenario. I have a request in Heat Transfer forum also, which again yielded nothing. I am just trying to cast a wide net.

Do you know anything on heat transfer modeling of an oil or gas well that addresses the natural convection within the well bore?

I hope someone does.

OK i will give one lead: Try SPE! They have extensive amounts of work stored on wells - these jeywords will give you a long list to go through:

cooldown reduction tubing

Best regards

Morten

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back