Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Referencing a new part in a draft 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fonzee78

Mechanical
May 24, 2011
US
Ok, so I have another question for you Solid Edge pros in here. Let's say that I have a drawing that is referencing part "A", but I want to take that same drawing and reference part "B". Is there a way to do this without creating a new drawing for part "B"? This would be helpful for identical parts that are right/left handed so the drawing would be almost identical, therfore I would save the draft as the new part name but then have to tell it which model to source.

Thanks!!

Joel

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In ST versions its Application Icon > Manage > Edit Links.
Once in there you click in the list of source files (there will probably be only one anyway)then click Change Source and browse to the file you want to use.

Before ST it was just Edit > Links then the same procedure.

Alternatively there is Revision Manager.

What you need to remember is that some (or many?) of your dimensions will become detached when you update the views.

bc.
2.4GHz Core2 Quad, 4GB RAM,
Quadro FX4600.

Where would we be without sat-nav?

Eventually you will need to learn Revision manager, but unfortunately there are no tutorials on it.
However, if you search Youtube for "revision manager video" there are quite a few demo's on there.

bc.
Quadro FX4600.

Revision manager is probably a better way to do it long term. I often find that left and right hand versions are actually different enough from a dimension scheme point of view that it's almost as quick to just cut & paste notes from the other handed version and create the rest from scratch.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

You're probably right here Kenat. Its often the case that when you come to do the opposite hand part you need views from different directions anyway.
I usually try the quick way first, but often end up just doing a print of the original and creating the new one from scratch, with copy/paste for notes etc as you say.

bc.
Quadro FX4600.

Copy paste notes, retrieve dimensions and 80% of the work is done.

I suppose coppying the over handed version may get certain parts of the title block and rev block filled out too, but there's not much in it.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back