Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Referencing table of datums, views, and sections on multi sheet technical drawings

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndersSande

Industrial
Jul 1, 2005
NO
Hi all,
(This question is also in this thread: thread561-482647 on this site.)

On large format multiple sheets drawings of large and complicated component I have seen som reference tables on sheet 1.
The tables listed where on the drawing the actual section views and datum references where layed out. The tables listed on what sheet and where on the this sheet. I can't remember how these tables where formatted.

Could someone give me some samples or somting on such table?

It was even noted on every section view where the section line was, as some of the section lines where on other sheets than sheet 1.

I remember theese view references as:

Section A-A
Sh2 H4

And the datum tables as:
Datum Position
A Sh 5 B2

Is there any standard for this, or is it different from every company?
The actual drawings I worked with was from SNECMA and General Elecric.

Any samples or standards?

Regards,
Anders

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think it's a company drafting standard thing ... each company does it their own way.

I personally have never seen such a table (in 30+ years of working aerospace). I am used to seeing on the main view, where the section is defined, having a note/label with sheet and zone of where the section view is presented.

another day in paradise, or is paradise one day closer ?

correct - this is part of company standard. In a case of GE it is reference to location of specific element of drawing - in your example detailed view of section AA is located in the field H-4 of the Sheet 2. In reverse on sheet 2 view AA you will find cross reference to the location of section on master drawing in example Sh1 B6 (it is describing place on general (auxiliary) view from where this section come from. System is quite simple and intuitive as well extremely helpful in a case of complex part/assemblies definition.

Ok jaceb, then my memory was kind'a right. Except possibly for the table of datums.
Is it possible for you to share a detail from such a drawing, only showing the formatting of the text at these section references?

Regards,
Anders

sorry, but what does it matter what his table looks like. consider his font may be different to yours.

Make your own table based on the information you wish to outline, and may it look similar to other tables in your drawing template.

it ain't rocket science.

another day in paradise, or is paradise one day closer ?

Then I just make the tables and references the way I like them. :)
Make my own company standard.

But for me it IS rocket science. Actually.

Tanks for the suggestions and answers.

Anders

sorry to say so, but i can list at least dozen GE drawing checkers for whom formatting is like meaning of life - especially right now when number of programs in GE and SNECMA (sorry Safran or whatever brand they have right now) is close to none and they have plenty of time for polishing :D "quality" side. I have to dig in my archives to find out if i have anything may help. For sure not datum tables - this one never have been required from me - even for large assemblies. But in general rb1957 is right - just keep drawing template's formatting and it will work. Additionally if you are working in CATIA - GE drawing templates have details sheet which is supplying most of properly formatted and standardized drawing elements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back