Refinery Corrosion Textbook

Status
Not open for further replies.

refiningcorrosion

Materials
Mar 5, 2020
US
Hi All -

I am early in my career as a corrosion/materials engineer on a refinery. I have found so far that much important information in the industry and especially with respect to corrosion is largely gained through experience and learning from more experienced colleagues. I am wondering if anyone can recommend a text that offers in depth guidance on refinery specific damage mechanisms, where they are most commonly found, effective inspection techniques, etc. I am especially interested on a unit by unit basis, for example: "On the crude unit there are concerns of salt deposition in the overhead system, in hydrotreat units there is risk of chloride corrosion in reactor effluent air cooler systems, sour water corrosion in X, Y, Z locations, etc. I am very familiar with the API documents such as 571 which I have not found to be as helpful in specifics. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated - I have found some texts online such as those by Harston and Groysman but am hesitant to spend upward of $150 without any reviews/testimonials. Thanks in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hansen & Puyear have a famous text that I think is out of print, but well worth the money if you can locate a copy.

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts."

NACE is an invaluable source ; not a single book but many on various topics. If possible, join and become active on committees ; T-8 used to be refinery corrosion but they have reorganize the organization since I was active. There is possibly a local chapter with monthly meetings. The annual main meeting and exhibits were always worthwhile [when I was active , a guest could attend any committee meeting - see what interests you.

All references above are very useful to understand the qualitative data of materials and corrosion in refinery and petrochemical plants. API RP571, 3rd edition (March 2020) is the latest, however the contents are not remarkably changed compared to the 2nd edition. So, the 2nd edition is still valuable.

You can also find a new guide book (EPMC) below.

This new book provides a large quantitative data and detail Engineering Practice of Materials and Corrosion (EPMC).

Hope this helps,

Eun, Jung-Chul (Thomas)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back