Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Refinery Storage Tank Thermowells Immersion Lengths

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weegie

Petroleum
Feb 20, 2007
CA
Gents,
I'm looking for an industry standard/guide for immersion lengths of thermowells directly mounted in storage tanks. We have tanks from 12ft to 57ft in diameter. Only info I've found is an old Shell standard for (process ?) 'vessels', stating an immersion length of 18 inches. Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Try this link:

thread698-186164

I found the details in the API publication 'Manual of Petroleum Measurement Standards, Chapter 7 - Temperature Determination'. API recommend a minimum projection of 36" into the tank (from the side) if the rtd/thermocouple inside the well is being used for custody transfer. If it's a local bi-metallic dial thermometer, recommended minimum is 12".
Point to note though, the publication has a lot of detail on temperature monitoring especially in 'custody transfer service' where acuracy plays a big part with respect to liquid volume and expansion due to heat. Well worth the read !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back