Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

refrigerated air dryer - how does it work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianE22

Specifier/Regulator
Mar 21, 2010
US
Our refrigerated air dryer plugs up occasionally - no air flow. I'm guessing that moisture maybe freezes and plugs the line. It seems odd that water never drains from the automated drain line. So before I take it apart I was wondering how the heat transfer works. Do they just wrap the cold copper refrigerant lines around the compressed air lines? I saw some literature that talked about a demister? Any idea what that is?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Demister is a screen or series of them, intended to force very small condensation droplets to impinge on a surface, coalesce, and (eventually) drip to a sump.

Condensation of vapor in compressed air occurs in a heat exchanger (heat exchange between refrigerant and compressed air)and then moisture removal is done by centrifugal separation. Demister pads can can be other option.

Drain trap problem can be cause as well as effect. If your demister pad is clogged, due to oil traces in compressed air or dust accumulation, air flow gets reduced and there won't be any air flow. If the drain trap started malfunctioning, may be some ice might have formed in the separator and heat exchanger.

Flush the dryer with compressed air (with dryer off) and see for improvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back