Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Regarding a code reference for sheet metal design

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaffy

Mechanical
Jun 2, 2020
CA
Hello guys,
Is there any ASME or other code reference while working on sheet metal? I found couple of articles but wondering if there is a specific code like AISC
Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

kaffy,

What sort of code are you talking about? There are drafting standards like the ASME[ ]Y14[ ]series. There are material specifications. Don't go nuts specifying materials unless you mean it. Otherwise, everyone will assume that you don't, and you will be in trouble when it matters.

--
JHG

I see.. So AISC code has guidelines about stress calculations of steel members, max/min. holes/slot sizes and location etc. So I am looking for a reference(ASME) showing some similar information. I can run FEA to check the stresses and deflection but having something similar to cross check my numbers will definitely help

kaffy,

Why would structural analysis for sheet metal be any different than structural analysis of other methods? If you are using sheet metal to save weight, you need to do your analysis more thoroughly. Sheet metal buckles more easily than structural sections. Large sheet metal panels will resonate under vibration. As designer, you need to place structural connections close to flanges, and try to place screw connections through double or triple thick panels.

If you are subject to regulations of some sort, sheet metal and SolidWorks do not affect it.

--
JHG

Hello drawoh,

Thank you for the reply. I understand that analysis are almost same in case of sheet metal and plates or any other steel. What I am looking for is a reference or any other study material published by ASME or other recognized body. I have couple of references showing sheet metal related information but most of them are from schools / private organization or blogs.

Thank You

kaffy,

Context matters. Codes are based on some specific design problem, like pressure vessels, buildings and bridges and aircraft structure. My sheet metal background mostly is electronics enclosures, and some optical mounts. There are industrial bins, aircraft wings, and maybe some pressure vessels.

Are you trying to solve a problem, or are you trying to operate a tool?

--
JHG

Hello,

I am trying to design a sheet metal enclosure (7 ft x 6 ft x 9 ft). It will be used for storage. For the loading requirements, I have to make sure side walls / ceiling of enclosure is good enough for 500lb and I will be using 14 gauge CRS.

Thank You
KD

kaffy,

I designed a wooden shed for my back yard. Like my shed, your enclosure is small enough that building codes (probably) do not apply to it.

I worked out that snow loads were not a concern for me. I analysed for me (210lb) walking about on the roof. Perhaps I should have analysed for me, a friend, and a case of beer, on the roof. My walls were 2[×]4 framing with something called channelply, screwed on the outside. This is typical building construction, so I anticipated no problems other than graffiti. I covered my walls in paint, rather than stain and varnish.

In your case, your thin steel walls will resonate like crazy if anything hits them, like rain or hail. Sheet metal away from support structure like angle bends, is very flexible and not very strong. It will not be a good place to lean tools like rakes and shovels. You will have quite a bit of design to do.

Can you examine an existing steel enclosure? Generally, if people do things a certain way, there is a good reason.

Can you just go out and buy something? Home Depot sells garden sheds that almost certainly will look way better than a sheet metal enclosure. I know very little about Pre-Engineered Metal Buildings (PEMBs), but maybe you should investigate. Making a home designed metal enclosure look good could be challemging.

I used SolidWorks to design my Backyard Shed. Either SolidWorks' weldment feature did not yet exist, or I did not understand it. If I had it to do over, I would have used it for the wood framing. It would have been helpful if SolidWorks had had a feature that popped up and told me how circular saws worked.

--
JHG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back