Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Regarding Isolation pad

kaffy

Mechanical
Jun 2, 2020
CA
Good Morning,

I hope you are well. I am working on sizing an isolation UMHW pad that will be placed below a beam subjected to a load of 250 kips (as shown in attached PDF). Based on the triangular load distribution principle, I expect the load to be distributed over a certain area. My original plan was to compare the generated bearing stress with the allowable compressive strength of the material. However, I am concerned that this approach does not account for the thickness of the pad. Given the heavy load, I am worried that the pad may get crushed under compression.

My question is:
- Is there any formulation / guidance / standard of practice containing information about sizing the pads?
- Apart from crushing, are there any other failure modes in UMHW pads?

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=83b57621-50e6-4b56-b4d4-2de4662bd133&file=Loading_Scenario_&_Material_Properties.pdf
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Here is some information on slide pads from a manufacturer I've seen. It isn't UHMW but it's PFTE which is similar. They have design guides and such, the concept is likely pretty similar.

EDIT: that link wont take you directly there. What you are looking for is "ROF Composition Masticord", then scroll down to the MASTICORD DESIGN GUIDE section.

Back