Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Regulations for Water Pipelines

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElectricMech

Industrial
Jan 10, 2006
Can anyone tell me if there is a regulation (USDOT) for water that would be equivalent to the Hazardous Material Regulations? Not used to doing water...always do something like NGL. Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Water piping is usually regulated at the local level, if it concerns distribution pipes, usually the utility department or the local health department. Large distribution pipes would probably still fall under a utility or consortium of utilities. Is this what you have in mind or am I barking up the wrong tree?

If the water system is related to process, normally B31.3 shall be applied same as your other piping in a process plant. If it's potable water or sanitary piping, as DMcGrath said, local government shall have regulations for it. Uniform Plumbing Code is adopted by many locals.

Thanks! B31.3 did have what I needed. It is a water pipeline but simply to move water and then put it back in the ground. I guess in this case it is considered still to be a hazardous material.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back