Regulations in Ohio 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

reichertc

Mechanical
Mar 21, 2001
CA
Hi folks.

I'm doing some design work for piping in Toledo, Ohio, and I would like to know what regulatory body, or legislation, governs the design of piping in this area. Piping is mostly B31.3, all of it is in a refining facility.

Any links, or references, would be greatly appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I used to work for GP in Columbus, the only governing body was - the department of industrial compliance - no one at local level is qualified to inspect or approve welds, procedures and or processes so the local governing agencies usually grant exemptions. If you are touching any pressure vessels, then the National Board needs to approve vessel designs, and for certain applications (boiler piping), the boiler insurance company needs to be included with stress analysis. Hope this helps.

precisionengineer;

If you are touching any pressure vessels, then the National Board needs to approve vessel designs, and for certain applications (boiler piping), the boiler insurance company needs to be included with stress analysis.

Just to clarify your statement. The National Board of Boiler and Pressure Vessel Inspectors does not approve designs. Their function is to commission National Board Boiler/Pressure Vessel Inspectors, maintain the National Board Inspection Code, provide safety relief valve testing/guidance and to provide a method for registration of pressure retaining items. The National Board commissioned Inspector reviews designs to assure compliance with ASME or other construction code design requirements. The Chief Boiler Inspector is usually charged with assuring compliance of Boiler and Pressure vessel safety laws. Unless the City is considered a Jurisdiction in accordance with the NBIC, cities within a state will follow the State Boiler and Pressure vessel safety laws or rules.

Regarding insurers, some owners are self insured, and do not rely on an outside agency for inspections/reviews.

In the fact that the National Board reviews design for code adherence is an approval and they will also let you know if the design is not acceptable. In this aspect, they do review and approve/disapprove. As for being self insured.... we were at Georgia-Pacific however state statutes require pressure vessel inspection by an appropriate party prior to "firing" due to inherent concerns in the local community (my plant had a reactor exposion in 1997... so I have been here). Hartford Insurance(even though Georgia Pacific is totally insured) inspected all pressure vessels prior to "firing", and was required to do so by the "Dept. of Industrial Compliance". So the fact of being self insured does not really impy anything. Also, the individual who started this thread is in Ohio.... this is the explicit scenerio for which I am addressing. Ohio has very unique regulations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back