Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Regulations Regarding Backpitched Mainline 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tfam

Computer
Feb 22, 2019
US
Hello All,

I am not a civil engineer, and am looking for a quick assessment of the inspection video below.

The Mainline has been inspected via CCTV, and given the visible water lines , it appears that the pipe is back-pitched and holding water from the 15' mark unto at least the 60' mark. This is causing sewage to collect at the spur connection (visible at the 1:40 mark) and eventually backup into the lateral connection from the house. Furthermore odors and gases are migrating under pressure from the sewage into the property via the lateral.

I was hoping someone could help me by providing the following
1.Is this assessment correct, or am I missing something.
2.What codes govern the appropriate pitch of a main sewer line
3.What codes govern standing sewage in mainline, specifically from a discharge into the environment.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would think looking at the high tide marks and the joint displacements that the sewer has sagged at least the depth of half a pipe. This is usually caused by poor laying joining or subsidence in the trench or both.

Regards
Ashtree
"Any water can be made potable if you filter it through enough money"

Who owns the mainline? Call them to clean the mainline more often. and send them a copy of the video. If you are getting odors/gases in the house , you have at least one dry trap. Run water down each drain in the house.

settlement is often caused by leaking. there is clearly a leak at 36.5, it appears water coming in.
the pipe needs to be repaired. All codes require minimum slopes on sewer lines. without knowing the jurisdiction, impossible to determine what code might govern

here is a standard that is often used, see subsection "33.41 Recommended Minimum Slopes"

Link

Your ID indicates that this is a project in New York. The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation has regulations that require minimum sewer slope.

The regulations are designed to prevent the problems that you are witnessing.

Would agree with cvg that this problem developed over time, and was not originally installed in this manner.

However, the regulations are for new construction. The regulations will not force the utility to replace the line. However, once the problem has been identified, the utility will put a project like this on a priority list of maintenance/repair projects and will fix the problem eventually. Of course, the maintenance/repair project list is limited to the funds available and priority (how many utility customers are affected and effect on the utility operations).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back