Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reinforce transparent plastic

Status
Not open for further replies.

pclegg25

Automotive
Aug 27, 2002
GB
I have recently installed a machine for leak testing
car radiators. The machine works by lowering the radiator
into a tank of water and blowing compressed air into it.
If bubbles are seen, the core is a "leaker" and has to be repaired. To hold the core in situ whilst pressure is applied, a bar at either side clamps the core between both header plates. These bars are stainless steel and therefore cannot be seen through! Subsequently if a leak occurs where these bars mask, the leak cannot be located accurately. I intend to replace these bars with a material that is transparent, but durable. I would be grateful for any suggestions.

Paul

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Your options include:

1) glass - obviously has a toughness problem, but you could use a tempered glass or a more exotic type like Pyrex

2) thermoplastics - polycarbonate and acrylic are two varieties, although they may suffer from creep and environmental degradation.

3) thermosets - epoxies and polyesters are two varieties, they have improved creep and environmental resistance compared to thermoplastics, but reduced toughness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back