Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reinforced Concrete CTE

Status
Not open for further replies.

ridgeline

Civil/Environmental
May 29, 2008
US
I am looking for a reference (preferably ACI) that details how a composite coefficient of thermal expansion (CTE) for reinforced concrete may be computed given the individual concrete and steel CTE values.

I have spent several hours searching but have been unsuccessful at finding one...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In my books, it shows the coefficient of structural steel to be 6.5x10^-6 per degree Fahrenheit and for concrete is is 7x10^-6. Hardly seems worth trying to blend it together?

Perhaps for most practical applications.

I am looking at a concrete CTE equal to 9.1x10^-6. Higher reinforcement ratios would be expected to have some measurable effect. I suspect an appropriate analytical approach must exist..

What kind of concrete do you have with such a high CTE? I've never seen anything higher than 9 and even that's plaster based, i.e. gypsum based. And that stuff is never structural.

" I suspect an appropriate analytical approach must exist.. "
There are "analytical approaches" (mathematical idealizations) for a lot of things in reinforced concrete that, for most practical cases, do not produce very accurate results. The most glaring examples are shear design (strut-and-tie is only reasonably accurate for massive sections and in an "average" sense), crack width calculations and deflection estimations.

I have never once heard of an analytical approach for estimating the internal forces generated by thermal expansion difference of rebar and concrete. The obvious reason for this is given by jayrod12: the coefficients of thermal expansion are almost identical.

+/- 25 degrees Fahrenheit. Laboratory specimens were tested for CTE. Results averaged 9.1+/-0.2x10^-6

I was able to finally track down an old ACI reference. If interested:
Berwanger, C. (1971). The modulus of concrete and the coefficient of expansion of concrete and reinforced concrete at below normal temperatures. Special Publication, 25, 191-234.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back