Reinforcement Spacing in Concrete Walls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew Wilkinson

Structural
Feb 25, 2020
CA
Hi all

First time poster. Been using previous posts for info for forever!

Question is this: if ACI 318 (7.6.5) and CSA A23.3-2014 both limit reinforcement spacing to 3x the wall width maximum, why do Logix and FoxBlocks tables permit spacing well beyond this? How do they do it? FoxBlocks even has technical bulletin: 1.05.06 which reinforces this. I'm in Canada so we have to abide by CSA standards and don't have the ACI and IRC competing against each other. But from what I can tell, the IRC allows spacing beyond this as well (even though it is supposed to parallel ACI-318). And in reading the commentary for 318-11 it actually says (in regards to 7.6.5.) that using spacing larger than the minimum may be desirable.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think you have to keep in mind that FOXBLOCKS (and previously separate company Reward Wall Systems) play in both the IBC and IRC worlds (non-residential and residential).

Their tables are perhaps for residential homes, basements, etc. When using IFC systems, we always design to ACI 318 and ignore those tables.

Thanks JAE (what an honour to have such a vet leave my first reply!)

I admit I let a little confusion creep in: IBC vs IRC.
Up here we have the NBC and it covers both.

Does the IRC not have such a requirement for limiting reinforcement to 3x the wall width?

I am specifically referencing residential concrete walls.

Does the IRC not have such a requirement for limiting reinforcement to 3x the wall width?
I'm not sure as we don't do a huge amount of IRC type work and when we do we tend to get all geeky with it and design as we usually do...with contractor complaints that the walls are "over-engineered".

Our firm actually used to develop the Reward Wall system tables years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back