Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reinforcing Dowel Placed In Fresh Concrete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beamman

Structural
Sep 29, 2000
CA
Hi All,

I have a situation where the contractor installed reinforcing dowels after the concrete was placed in the wall, rather than installing the dowel and placing concrete afterwards.

I cannot find information regarding this situation - whether the codes allow this, and if so what would the calculated tension capacity be? It would seem to me it would be less than if cast in.

Thanks for any information to shed light on this.

Regards,

Beamman

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If there was no vibration done after setting, it is likely that there are air pockets around the wet set bar, so capacity is likely compromised in this situation.

As far as determining that capacity, I haven't seen any number put to it. I would think you could lose a fair amount of bonded length, so it could just be a reduction in Ld or Hef for calc purposes. Tough to put a number to though.

I have seen it done several times. I don't like it at all but I think that I have seen somewhere that it is okay. Probably not in the correct location.

If the dowel is required to be fully developed in tension, it should be tied in place and the concrete vibrated around it. If it is just a nominal dowel to resist shear, it is probably okay.

BA

Can you definitely establish that the bar is at the right depth? Horizontal bar? Vertical bar(s)?

It probably did not settle/get pushed all the way down thorough the slab to the very bottom where it will be exposed to corrosion from below, but was it evenly depressed so it is at the right depth all the way on its length?

A bar placed before the concrete is poured has to be suspended "up" from the form, but here, what held it up so it didn't droop too far down in places, but was too shallow in other places?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back