Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reinforcing Weld

Status
Not open for further replies.

Offsite

Materials
Feb 12, 2003
AE
Please can you tell me the difference between reinforcing pad and reinforcing weld?

I know that a reinforcing pad is a wear welded under the pipe for support. It can be also above when we carry out a branch connection. But reinforcing weld I do not know.
If you have any sketch explaining that, I will appreciate your help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A reinforcement weld is weld metal that is added to increase the thickness of the component beyond the original required thickness. For example, if you wanted to restore the wall thickness of a thinned area, you can locally weld restore this area. Once you have reached the original wall thickness, any additional weld metal that is deposited is considered reinforcement.

One additional comment to the above, by adding weld metal to increase wall thickness beyond original, this serves to increase load carrying capacity or strengthen the area.

Reinforcing welds are also fillet welds added to groove welds in branch connections. They add to the area of reinforcement as described in UG-37 and depicted in FIG. UG-37.1 in ASME VIII.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back