Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reinstalling Solidworks

Status
Not open for further replies.

mps7642

Mechanical
Sep 5, 2002
GB
I've just got a new Presario 900 laptop with Microsoft XP (Home edition) and tryed to reload my Solidworks 2000 but keep getting a message that the current platform is not supported "i386".
Anyone experienced the same problem?
Any solutions - without having to buy a completely new Solidworks package?

Thanks in advance. MPS - England

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't know about sw2k, but sw2k3 only runs on AMD machines if they have WinXP Pro (at least that's what SW warns). I don't know if there's any trick to solve this limitation.

Good Luck

I tried to install my SolidWorks 2001 on a Windows XP Home edition, and got the same error message. There is a way to get around it and run the setup by using the Program Compatibility Wizard (go to Start->Help and type: "Program Compatibility Wizard").
This got me past the installation, but after starting SolidWorks I realized that I could only open Parts and not Assemblies, weird. You may have better luck with SolidWorks 2000.
Let us know how it worked out.

MacPT,

SW2003 runs on both Intel and AMD Machines.

See the SW Website: This website goes into better detai than what I have listed below.

Also check out the "STOP Read this first" Orange paper that comes with every seat of SW. Check out "System Requirements"

1st bullet: "Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional(Recommended), Windows 2000 (Service Pack 2) (Recommended), Windows NT®4.0 (Service Pack 6), Windows Me and Windows 98 (Second Edition only)

2nd Bullet: "Intel Pentium or AMD Athlons based computers. For systems running WinXP pro, Windows 2000, Windows NT."

No where does it say that SW03 only runs on AMD machines if they have WinXP Pro. I have a laptop that is an Intel P4 with Win XP Pro and SW03 runs great on it. I also have a Desktop that has W2K and the CPU is an AMD... nothing wrong here.

Regards, Scott Baugh, CSWP [spin] [americanflag]
3DVision Technologies
credence69@REMOVEhotmail.com

*When in doubt always check the help*

You can install SolidWorks on Windows XP with a traditional install starting from SolidWorks 2001 +. If you have any previous version of SolidWorks (2001 and older) you will need to use the "Program Compatibility Wizard" (see my previous post).
I should add that I only tried it on Windows XP home edition, not XP pro.

I never says that SW supports WinXP home. So the way I see it is (personaly opinion)...SW doesn't support XP home, only Pro. XP Home is as bad as using Win 95, 98, 98SE (even though it is support), & ME.

Some people may have installed and it works fine, but your going to find limitations when you don't use the proper OS or the recommended OS.

Regards, Scott Baugh, CSWP [spin] [americanflag]
3DVision Technologies
credence69@REMOVEhotmail.com

*When in doubt always check the help*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back